Numerous studies have shown that B complex vitamins have been used successfully as natural PMS remedies. Ladies, the next time PMS mood swings strike, try heading for the multivitamins shelf at your local pharmacy for some homeopathic PMS relief.
What scientists have to say about vitamin B and PMS
The study in mention, published by the National Institutes of Health, focused on the impact of dietary B vitamins and vitamin B supplements on premenstrual syndrome (PMS) symptoms; they found that women who consumes 2 essential B vitamins, thiamine and riboflavin, reduced their premenstrual symptoms by 35 percent.
- The study, conducted by the University of Massachusetts, included over 3,000 female participants in the U.S. Nurses Health Study II; all volunteers were not suffering PMS at the time of the study, which included completing several dietary questionnaires.
- Women who consumed the highest amounts of riboflavin fared best when it came to risk for developing PMS symptoms; they were 35 percent less likely to suffer physical and emotional symptoms associated with PMS than women who ate the least vitamin B in their diet.
- Scientists believe that thiamine and riboflavin control neurotransmitters such as serotonin and dopamine, both of which are linked with premenstrual syndrome symptoms.
- B vitamins are water soluble, so you need to consistently take B supplements; your body will not store vitamin B.
- PMS affects approximately 15 percent of women in the childbearing age.
- Symptoms of PMS can include headaches, anxiety, breast tenderness, acne, aching joints and depression.
How to include more vitamins to help PMS
Good sources of riboflavin, thiamine and vitamin B12 include:
- Lean red meat, such as lean chuck
- Legumes, such as kidney beans, garbanzos and lentils
- Milk, cheese and yogurt
- Vitamin enriched breads, rice and cereals
- Oranges (thiamine)
- Green leafy vegetables, such as spinach, romaine lettuce and kale
Chronic Depression, Chronic Pain- It’s All the Same, say Experts
Vitamin B12 for PMS
- Sleep difficulties
- Heart palpitations
Vitamin B12 deficiency can only be cured with consistent vitamin B12 supplementation.
Benefits and Sources of Vitamin B12, and How to Avoid Deficiency
For maximum health benefits, combine vitamins and supplements as part of your natural cure for PMS.
National Institutes of Health, FYI Living, Bloomberg Businessweek, BBC
Got PMS? Let B Vitamins Ease your Pain
Natalie Portman Chooses B12 over Veganism
B12: Celebs Say it’s the New C