7 Natural Remedies for Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
Avoid gastrointestinal surgery or harmful Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) drug treatments; Promote digestive system health in the midst of Crohn’s disease naturally, safely with home remedies.
What is Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)?
Inflammatory Bowel Disease is an autoimmune disease that causes severe damage to the digestive tract. Illnesses that fall under IBD include Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis.
What is Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), however, is not a disease, but rather a condition also referred to as spastic colon. IBS does not cause any damage to the colon.
Symptoms of IBD include:
- Loose irregular stools
- Bloody stools
- Inflamed colon
- Stomach cramps
Natural remedies for Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis:
1) Probiotics- Lactobacillus (L. acidophilus) is one of the most popular types of “friendly bacteria” used to promote digestive health for people with ulcerative colitis. Probiotics affect the amount of unhealthy bacteria in the gut, quell inflammation, and strengthen the stomach lining. Good sources of lactobacillus include yogurt, fermented soy products, and nutritional supplements.
2) Diet- The best way to avoid Crohn’s disease flare-ups is by following a restrictive diet. Some popular diets for IBD include the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) and the Low Residue Diet (LRD). Read more about treating Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis through diet: Ten Foods to avoid if you have Inflammatory Bowel Disorder.
3) Blond psyllium- Blond psyllium is an herb that is used as a gentle stool softener for patients who have undergone anal surgery, in addition to sufferers of hemorrhoids, IBS, and ulcerative colitis.
4) Indian frankincense- Frankincense, or olibanum, refers to the resin that seeps from the Boswellia serrata plant. Naturopathic medicine practitioners use frankincense to benefit arthritis patients, but it is also used for digestive health in the presence of ulcerative colitis, stomach cramps, and menstrual pain.
5) Glutamine- Glutamine is an amino acid that boosts the immune system and digestion. Glutamine imparts healthy reactions in individuals with Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, and stomach ulcers, in addition to people undergoing radio-chemotherapy.
6) Wheatgrass- Wheatgrass contains many essential vitamins and nutrients, including vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, iron, calcium, and magnesium. Many wheatgrass juice enthusiasts claim that wheatgrass significantly impacts swelling associated with ulcerative colitis symptoms.
7) Acupuncture- In a controlled study, Crohn’s disease patients who received regular acupuncture treatments experienced significant results from the symptoms of IBD, in addition to an improved state of well-being.
Tags: Chrohn's disease, Chron's disease, Chrones disease, Crohn's, Crohn's Disease, crones, crones disease, Diarrhea, digestive tract, IBD, inflamatory bowel disease, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, intestines, natural remedies, small intestine, ulcerative colitis